3.18.2009

Our House is Finally Ready! - Shamsia Razaqi

We did a walk through today and nitpicked at every broken tile, chipped piece of paint and dust bunny hiding in the corners of this grand house that within days will be home to phase one of our Amin Institute. It has been a long, hard crawl but I finally feel we are coming close to this goal we have all worked so long for.

We are lucky to have one of the most dedicated teams I have ever seen, who work with mind body and soul… Our team is matched only in their generosity by the selfless individuals who have believed in us from day one when we were little more than an idea.

Sitting in the vacant room of what I hope very soon inshallah will be full of happy screams and the pitter patter of little feet running around, I am amazed that we have made it this far…and I know we could never have stood on our feet if our supporters didn’t give us the spine with which to support our dreams.
From day one, we have been fortunate.




I am told it because we are doing “gods work” or khair…we are helping the helpless and in this you can never go wrong. I hope this is true.

In addition to this though, I am certain that our good fortune comes in some part from the kind hearts of those who refuse to turn a blind eye to the suffering and misfortune that have beset this country. Our work here in Afghanistan would have been stagnant if we hadn’t met a handful of people who genuinely care about the children they see scraping by on the streets day by day.

People who have dropped everything to help us help their country, and this gives me hope. The fact that the people of Afghanistan have not lost resolve, but are confidently determined to make this window of peace last for a lifetime.
Before coming I was uncertain of what I would find here. To be honest at times I was a little nervous.

Everything we hear in the news is negative…suicide bombing here, shooting there, Taliban taking over…I thought I would be coming back to Afghanistan circa 2000, but the reality on the street is far from negative.

Positivity is everywhere.




I wish the news would report about all the students in foreign language schools and, computer courses or about the girls walking freely in the streets or about all the work that Afghans themselves are putting into rebuilding their country.
Perhaps if these realities were broadcast people would not be so reluctant to help…Afghanistan is not a lost cause.



Afghanistan is in the embryonic stages of a renaissance.
The streets are alive, the young are thirsty for knowledge and change, they just need a catalyst…and I hope we can be that which turns this flicker into a flame